Charmed, I'm Sure...

January 19, 2012
What high school girl in the 1950's - 1970's didn't want a charm bracelet?  I know I did, and so did my friends.  It was on my Christmas list in the early 1970's, and although it was to be a surprise, my little sister, (eight years my junior), announced that she knew what I was getting for Christmas.  She blurted out proudly, that "Craig (our brother) got part, I got part and Gram the main part".  From that hint, I knew that a charm bracelet was indeed going to be under the tree for me.

Although the charm bracelet dates back over 10,000 years ago, and was popularized during Queen Victoria's reign, it was the Bobby Soxer Era beginning in the 1950's when the charm bracelet became a "must have" accessory for girls.  The bracelet's charms recorded major rites of passage, 16th birthdays, graduations, travel, weddings, etc.   Charm bracelets began to lose favor during the disco era when bare gold chains without baubles became the new status symbol.  Charm bracelets reappeared in the mid 1980's.  During my daughters' childhoods, the Italian charm bracelets became very popular. 


Here are a couple examples of vintage silver charm bracelets:
Photo Source  - Ruby Lane

Photo source - Etsy, Green Land Turtle


And this is my charm bracelet.  It's still in great condition. 





A football.  I was a loyal Vikings follower.


A graduation cap.



A record player.



A telephone.  What girl didn't like listening to 45's and talking on the telephone?


The year I graduated.


My graduation photo. 


I hope you enjoyed a look back at charm bracelets!


vif187

Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. I love charm bracelets! I have one that was my mothers and I wear it all the time. It is like having a part of her with me...all of her charms, which tell the story of her life, and the ones I have added....I bought my son's girlfriend a charm bracelet for Christmas and she loved it...now her story can be told through her charms :)

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely charm bracelets... These were quite popular during my school days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love my charm bracelet! I got a new charm every Christmas from my cousin and every camping trip to Myrtle Beach. I also like the newer "Pandora" type charm bracelet, my husband gave me one for Christmas. Thanks for the trip down memory lane - I graduated in 72.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comments. I'm big on trips down memory lane!

      Delete
  4. I always wanted a charm bracelet when I was a teenager. They are just such fun. Yours is wonderful and such a great keepsake! Thank you for joining TTF and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post. I had 2 silver charm bracelets in the early 60s. Each charm represents an important time in my high school years. It's such fun to remember each's story. Had each charm soldered on, and they are in wonderful shape. Was just thinking about bringing them back to life. Definitely will, now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. I didn't have a charm bracelet but I've fingered the one in my mom's jewelry box for 40 years. Before her stroke, when she had speech, she would tell me what each charm meant, and it was always fun for her to "go back" and reminisce. My aunt "willed" me hers and it's gold, whereas Mom's is silver. Thank you for sharing yours. I think a charm bracelet is like a sampler of old...both would tell a story about the seamstress or wearer. I also appreciate the little bit of history about this type of jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. I love nostalgia and a charm bracelet is nostalgic!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.