Child's Play

January 16, 2012
These little china tea sets made in Japan in the 1950's and 60's are not so rare, I have ran across them from time to time at antique stores and even garage sales.  This little set with 4 plates, 4 cups, 4 saucers, a teapot, creamer and sugar bowl just happens to be MY little tea set from my Grandma Johnson.  (The set is not full size, it's miniature, just in case it looks are deceiving)


The box cover pictures a little boy and girl having tea, but I don't remember ever having a tea party with any boys, pretend or otherwise, not even with my brother.  The box cover is marked "Made in Japan". 

Long before "Made in China" came "Made in Japan".  So long ago that "Made in Japan" items are collectible.  "Made in Japan" in my day used to mean inexpensive or cheap.  Many "Made in Japan" figurines, planters, and other ceramics like this tea set were sold in Woolworth's or other five and dime stores.  Rows and rows of "Made in Japan" merchandise lined the shelves, and sold for about 49 cents a vase, all items were usually under a dollar.   I am not sure what the price of my tea set was, it's not on the box.


So here is a little tea party for one with an old "Made in Japan"  china tea set.


My tea party is staged on a white frame layered with doilies.  I have added silverware (made in Germany) that my Mother played with as a child, and a small headvase from my collection just for ambience. 




Last of all, I added some tea and scones to my party, just for me.  (And I did eat them)



This is a mini scone!


I hope you enjoyed my tea party!




Photobucket


{Primp}

Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. Neat! I have a few of those tea sets. They are lots of fun to have around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable tea set!!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! And I love your ladyhead vase! Oh and someone told me things marked Occupied Japan are very, very valuable!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love childrens tea sets and have several! Yours is adorable and I would love to be able to find a head vase that I could afford!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lucked out and found head vases at garage sales. This one is a miniature from eBay for about $25.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.