Declutter, Declutter, Declutter

January 12, 2012
Who hasn't picked up a magazine lately, watched a morning show or even read a blog that didn't provide tips for organizing and decluttering in 2012?  Clutter busters are everywhere.


Organizing and decluttering are good things.  If we didn't purge once in a while, we would soon all become hoarders, and I'm not a fan of hoarding.  (even though I might get my house FEATURED ON TELEVISION).


I don't like piles of junk mail, newspapers, or odds and ends accumulating on all the flat surfaces of every room.  I fight the clutter battle daily, just like everybody else.  BUT, I don't adhere to the minimalist philosophy "to live with as few possessions as possible". 

Your home need not be "designed to sell".    Your color palette need not appeal to the masses.   All of your personal collections and photos should proudly be on display.   And by all means, don't fret that you have so much furniture that your home's square footage might appear inadequate. 


I'm telling you to "surround" yourself with things you love, things that make you smile, your memories.  Your home will be unique.  It will ooze with your personality.  It will be a celebration of your life.


Think before you purge. Or not.  It's up to you.


If I had listened to the experts and purged everything in my closet that I hadn't worn for a year, I wouldn't have my lovely little baby dress to hang in my bathroom.



If I had sold this out of style vase from my great grandma on my rummage sale, I wouldn't have my first and most beloved piece in my headvase collection. 


If I had thrown out my old toys, or



my first pair of cat eye glasses, or



my childhood vintage Santa and his reindeer, or


my kindergarten hand plaque,


they would not be proudly on display at MY house today!

Love your house and love your stuff!





vif187


Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. These are beautiful items from your past. But, my past has already been thrown away so now I'm 'Decluttering' the basement as it is overflowing with things...wish I had my toys, and many other things from my youth..but I have to start moving on as there is just too much..
    Enjoy Time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you are right Shirley, you can't keep everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.