My Vintage Bathroom: Lady Head Vases

April 08, 2012
With Easter decorating behind me, I am beginning a series of posts on "My Vintage Bathroom", starting with my collectibles, first, lady head vases.


Anyone visiting my blog with any frequency would have noticed my colorful, coral tiled bathroom pop up from time to time, as a vignette backdrop.

I have never done a full-fledged tour of the bathroom yet, but it's coming.


My home, purchased in 1989, and built in 1954, features what most people would call a dated bathroom, with loud, ugly coral tile.

I know that I will never make believers of most of you, (that vintage is the way to go), but hopefully you will appreciate my love of this bathroom, a decorating challenge, that I have made mine with handpicked collectibles, memorabilia, and shabby charm.


So to the lady head vases.


If you aren't a collector of head vases, maybe you don't get my fascination with them. They are a very popular collectible, and if you don't believe me, check it out on ebay. Head vases are not cheap.


A mass produced, originally very low priced, figural vase from the 1940's - 1960's, were used primarily by florists.

Head vases can be sophisticated, quirky, innocent, you name it. Some are holiday themed. They have been reproduced, but I can spot a reproduction quite easily.


My favorites are the sophisticates. Closed eyes, with emphasis on the eyelashes and high style.

Vintage custom, painted and distressed corner shelves, display the lady head vases. (Just part of my collection)

My most expensive and favorite head vase by Napco Ware. Approximately $100 on ebay.




She is an Enesco head vase purchased at a Catholic church rummage sale! Cheap! (When was the last time you wore dress gloves?)




She is a teeny-bopper by Napco.


She has a Japan Wreath mark. She was purchased on ebay but was reasonable. She has the eyelashes and the eyebrows goin' on.

The lady head vase on the left is made by Napco and the one on the right is made by Inarco. Both from ebay, reasonably priced but small.
This is another favorite by Enesco. This one was Great Grandma's. She looks more like a Southern Belle.








Coming up next, plates on the bathroom walls!




you are talking too much />

Sunday's Best Linky Party!








""/>










Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. I would never have noticed these at a sale or shop but I love blogs because I learn from them. The history of them and how you have them displayed is just so sweet and I love them now too! The older I get the more I appreciate things that were made long ago. Hmmm....I wonder if there's connection? LOL! I LOVE your coral tiles too! I just have to get MY clutter organized like yours. It's cozy, homey and delightful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love your vintage bathroom. Love your collection. Your bathroom must be big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post about your collection of head vases was very interesting. I was not aware of them, so I have learned something from you. I think that coral tile is spectacular, but then again, I'm partial to that color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carlene: You lady heads are just beautiful. They are different from the ones I usually see. They are really elegant. I love your bright coral color. Very cheery. Happy Easter Day..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the pinkish coral tiles are fun! You probably owned the Mary Engelbreit Home magazine that featured a California bungalow with those same tiles. If not, let me know and I'll find it and scan the pics to email to you. You've got a great collection of head vases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your idea of using them in the bathroom"! What a clever idea SEEING AS that's where "us Ladies" pamper ourselves...I MISS the days of wearing the gloves(I had a pair of stretch white ones I wore to Church)! I have ALWAYS loved the head vases BUT I don't have one YET! and now I know where the best place to display her will be! "THANK YOU"...AND I love the color of your tiles, especially with all your Lovely Ladies there!
    I would like you to take a PEEK over at this POST of mine. I am trying to ID these two children I bought at a thrift shop, THEY ARE quite large and remind me of THE HEAD VASES! LOOK AT THEIR EYELASHES! They are gorgeous...
    This is the POST
    http://conghailecottage.blogspot.com/2012/03/triliums-thrifting-my-obsession-with.html
    I've LOOKED and LOOKED at ebay, etc with NO LUCK at all...That COULD MEAN people LOVE them and will not part with them, hehe!!!
    Thank you again.
    Happy Easter to you,
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty! A vendor at my favorite antique/flea market specializes in them! Hope you had a fabulous Easter!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful unique collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Carlene! Oh, what a wonderful collection of these lovely head vases! You really have some pretty one. Many years ago I suggested my daughter start a collection of these, but she didn't I think she' sorry now because I would have been buying them for her! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love head vases. I have one that I have treasured for years. It was given to my mother with fresh flowers when she was in the hospital for some type of surgery when I was just a little girl. I always thought it was so pretty. I'm always on the look out for another one. Thanks for sharing your collection with us.
    http://betty-southerngrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, what a fun collection. All of the vases are so unique and so pretty. Love them. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love head vases, and they are very collectible. You really have a great collection. I love all of them, but especially love the southern belle looking one and the ones with the blue gloves. Thanks so much for sharing you collection with us at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carlene, thanks for showing your head vases at Your Cozy Home Scenes. My Grandmother had one but I didn't know anything about it. I only learned that they are collectible from you and other bloggers. Thanks for educating me. Now I wish I had appreciated my Grandmother's more. I like the one that was your Grandmother's. Maybe because you said she looks like a southern belle. ---------------Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carlene, I love it! Lady head vases are fantastic on their own, but your use for decor in the bathroom is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so neat. I have one from my teen years....long ago! They are so pretty displayed together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its great you can have your precious collection on show, the bathroom is a great place for them they have that feminine touch. Long live the retro!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cool! And I can't wait to see the bathroom. Post more pics soon, please:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find these quirkly pretty, and don't dislike the colours in the bathroom at all :) Would like to see more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.