You Learn Something New Every Day!

April 17, 2012
Do you subscribe to or pick up the Country Sampler magazine? 

I just picked up the May 2012 issue and learned some new information about one of my collectibles.  On page nine, in the Antiques Q and A section, this picture appears:

There is a question about the value of this print in the ornate gilded frame.  I have this print in a different frame.  My mom bought it (while I was still living at home) at an estate sale.  I have always liked it.  I thought it was a "lady" picture, and I collect "lady" figurines, head vases, portrait plates and pictures.

The Country Sampler expert claims this print is a famous painting by Charles Bosseron Chambers.  "The Light of the World" was painted in 1916, and is a famous image of a young Jesus.

In my defense, my print starts a little higher up on the chest and I didn't realize it was a child or topless.  I thought it might be an angel because of the halo type ring around the head.

Here is my print.  The glass gave off all kinds of glare so I took it off the wall.

It's in an eight sided, metal, hammered, vintage frame. 


The print normally hangs in my living room.  You can see it over at the left of the dining table bouquet.

I found quite a few of these prints on the internet in beautiful frames.
 
estatestore.org

Etsy

Etsy.


Etsy.
 A beautiful print, but I doubt Jesus was a blonde little boy. It's just this artist's representation.  I still love it!

Oh, the magazine's expert values an original "Light of the World" print at $50-$120 depending on the frame.





The Thrifty Groove
Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. I love it too! I've never seen it before and you're so right....Jesus probably did NOT have blonde hair and blue eyes! LOL! But it is a beautiful painting/print. I would love to have one but $50-$120 is a bit much for me on my budget. Maybe I could get a deal on Ebay though...somehow. I love it! It reminds me of my son when he was little....he did have a mass of blonde curls and looked like an angel.....when he was sleeping! LOL! His son looks the same way now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have thought that was Jesus. What a beautiful picture!
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my grandma had this print in her house. I wonder where it went? Amazing how many different ways it was framed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carlene: I've seen that painting quite a few times going to antique shops. I've always thought it was a pretty painting. Your's looks very pretty on the wall. I like the way the angle and flowers in your photo came out. No matter who it is of, it is very collectable and pretty..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome framed art piece! And I can't believe how different it looks in different frames! Thanks for joining TTF and have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.