Vintage Bun Warmer Re-purposed As A Pumpkin

October 09, 2013
I have had my eye on this vintage Westbend bun warmer for a couple weeks now.  Every time I went in the consignment shop I asked myself, "Should I buy it?  Should I make it into a pumpkin?".   It was $4.

Vintage Bun Warmer http://organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com/2013/10/vintage-bun-warmer-re-purposed-as.html
I thought the shape was perfect, and I finally bought it this week.

The top knob came off completely with a screwdriver, but I was a little disappointed that when the side knobs came off, I was left with two metal bars on each side that didn't come off.  Now what?  

I thought since I had already had $4 into it that I may as well try painting it.  I spray painted the top and bottom with the side knobs with an orange shade of Rustoleum spray paint.  I painted the knob with green spray paint.


Repurposing a vintage bun warmer into a pumpkin http://organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com/2013/10/vintage-bun-warmer-re-purposed-as.html
I put the top knob back on and lined up the knob with the holes in the lid to thread a few strands of raffia through.  

Repurposing a vintage bun warmer into a pumpkin http://organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com/2013/10/vintage-bun-warmer-re-purposed-as.html
Now I was ready to tie a few leaves on top with the raffia.

I have been cutting leaves off of this spray of fall faux leaves for a lot of my projects.  I think they have a pumpkin leaf shape.  I cut off four leaves, two smaller and two larger and tied them on with the raffia.  I then cut the raffia ends off so they were about 5-6 inches long.

Repurposing a vintage bun warmer into a pumpkin http://organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com/2013/10/vintage-bun-warmer-re-purposed-as.html
 I think it turned out pretty cute.  Here it is perched on some baskets in my living room.  I guess a bun warmer can be in the in the living room as long as it looks like a pumpkin!

Repurposing a vintage bun warmer into a pumpkin http://organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com/2013/10/vintage-bun-warmer-re-purposed-as.html

Repurposing a vintage bun warmer into a pumpkin http://organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com/2013/10/vintage-bun-warmer-re-purposed-as.html

Repurposing a vintage bun warmer into a pumpkin http://organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com/2013/10/vintage-bun-warmer-re-purposed-as.html
I also like it on my kitchen table.  I'm not sure where it will end up.  

I bet the next time you see a bun warmer at a thrift shop you will think PUMPKIN!











Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. But where will you warm your buns :) You can see potential pumpkins in the most unusual places. It look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are tooooooo much, this is so cute and clever. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable and such a clever idea!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me seeing pumpkins everywhere I look. This guy cold be at home just about anywhere you want your buns warmed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it much better painted orange. That is a great color.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous. I am pretty sure I have one of these somewhere in my kitchen. I liked its cool shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea......love your creative vision!!
    Always nice to see what you come up with.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is cute...but for some reason I thought it looked like a walnut and was waiting to see a tiny squirrel on top :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.