Shabby Angel From Re-purposed Towel Stand

November 22, 2013
What was at the thrift shops yesterday for me to repurpose into Christmas ornaments?

Just a countertop hand towel stand, made of wood with a metal bar.  Pretty boring...


Shabby Paint Technique www.homeroad.net
I think the towel bar needs a fun paint job, like Susan from Homeroad's textured shabby chic paint technique.  Susan mixed white paint with unsanded grout in a 3:1 ratio.  The paint is chunky and thick.  Instead of brushing it on, you dab it on.  

Here is my towel bar with the textured, shabby chic, creamy white paint. It really was not hard at all.  I also used a couple coats of a latex poly to seal the paint finish.  (I always have a messy kitchen table when I am crafting.)

Besides the towel stand, my angel project parts include a big holed washer and an old hinge, and also two diamond shaped doilies and seven thumbtacks.

I applied the shabby textured paint to the hinge and thumbtacks, but not to the washer.  I also applied the finish to a few other pieces since I had the paint mixed up.  I will show those pieces in a later post.

This is the back of my angel.  I pinned the doilies on the towel bars, to make sure they were even.  

Then I glued the doily edgings together with tacky glue, when they were properly lined up and even.

The washer "halo" is held in place with a tack.

This is the front view of the angel.  

As you can see I folded the hinge in to meet the wood center of the towel stand.  I caught the doily's edging loops with the thumbtacks, and when I was sure they were all lined up, pressed the tacks in place.  I then used a cloth to protect the paint finish on the tacks, and tapped them with a hammer to press them further into the wood.  The cross is from an old earring.  It hangs from a bent wire from the hinge.

This paint finish is really well suited for a shabby chic project like my angel.

Shabby Angel from Re-purposed Towel Stand www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com


Shabby Angel from Re-purposed Towel Stand www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com



I will be away from home until Monday, but I will have my ipad along with me to check in on social media.  I am anxious to start decorating for Christmas next week!





follow me here:

Savvy Southern Style
Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. That turned out beautiful, Carlene. At first glance I couldn't imagine what it could be, you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely angel! She can be friends with mine :) Thanks for including my textured paint Carlene! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an imaginative look at some pedestrian objects! I wish I could take the ordinary and turn it into the extraordinary. What a lovely angel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your mind works Carlene! That is one of the most brilliant angels I've even seen. Totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea and transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just floored that you saw an angel in that towel holder! I never would have! It's gorgeous Carlene! Safe travels and I know you'll have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! Such vision you have! I love seeing something like this revamped into a whole new item - my favorite thing to do! Have a safe trip this weekend! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever and creative and cute!! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carlene! This is darling! You are the most creative one! I love it and thank you for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelila ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am amazed at the ideas people have for repurposing things.

    Love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carlene,
    This is too cute and so pretty. I love it. Thanks for sharing on the Creating Christmas link party. That is a great repurpose.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.