A Re-Purposed Drawer Shelf

February 23, 2014
Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
My project started with this drawer picked up for $5.



Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
I washed it up in hot soapy water and sanded the drawer front a bit with sandpaper.

Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
Then I painted the drawer inside and out with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.  

Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
One thing about drawer shelves is that the shelf part can be very narrow.  I decided to try and extend the shelf with an extra board, a 1" x 6" scrap.

Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
Instead of painting the board white, I stained it with a dark walnut stain.

Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
You can see how the board extends past the drawer. 

Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
The drawer is then screwed into the board from the bottom with 3 screws.  I painted the bottom of the board in old white to match the drawer.

Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
The old hardware was replaced.  I really like the old drawer pull.  It's too bad that it won't show much on top of the drawer shelf.

Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
For hanging the drawer shelf, I added a saw toothed picture hanger.  I used longer nails and nailed into the drawer front panel for extra strength.

Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
This is how my drawer shelf looks dressed up for Easter!

Re-purposing an Old Drawer into a Display Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
And here for Spring!  (This spring talk is all wishful thinking with 4 feet of snow outside.)

I may hang the shelf in my kitchen after painting or maybe even outside under the covered patio with small pots of impatiens.  I will seal the shelf with water based polyurethane.


How to Add Display Space to a Drawer Shelf www.organizedclutter.net







follow me here:


Savvy Southern Style
Beyond The Picket Fence
Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. Oh I like it as always....and you were correct to use the original handle....it is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Love how you styled it for both Easter and Spring! Looking forward to seeing where it ends up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love the extended bottom in the dark stain, and the handle is just gorgeous, I can see why you had to have it!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. OLÁ CARLENE,ADOREI SEU PROJETO.TENHO UM PARECIDO PARA MEU BANHEIRO,LOGO POST.BOA SEMANA.BEIJO.VALÉRIA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new shelf does look like spring with your green plants and bunny, Carlene! Will we ever see green outside again?! Your shelf would look sweet with cascading flowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great! I love it with the plants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I need to try this!! Love it dressed up for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who would have ever thought! How creative. Love it! I'll be looking for a drawer for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the drawer shelf...it will look great either hanging inside your home or outside!!
    hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea to extend the shelf! I'm sorry that pull is not more visible too because it's gorgeous! I would probably take it off and put it on the back part of the shelf, up above the displayed stuff,so you could see it! I'm ready for spring and your vignette is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice and simple and very, very wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever and cute Carlene. Question, do you ever rest??

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the drawer shelf. It could be used in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! And love the 'springy' displays! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a Great re-purposed piece. I absolutely Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Soooo chic. I would love for you to post that on my Chic By You link party @ Chic By Tab. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darling repurpose. The shelf extension is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a GREAT idea, Carlene...the drawer becomes so much more usable! Thanks for sharing...I see some new shelves in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carlene,
    LOVE this idea!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm crazy about this drawer shelf, Carlene! Adore the extra board you added, it's the perfect touch! I'm featuring the plant version in this weekend's Party Junk post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Visiting you because of this awesome drawer project! Carlene, this is fantastic! I love it, and now will be on the hunt for random drawers! (Saw this featured on Funky Junk Interiors - congrats!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. If the drawer pull is a beauty, then I get quirky & turn the drawers on their sides & attach the extension shelves onto both of the sides in order to hold more stuff on both of them... Thank you for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.