Farmhouse Industrial Plate Holder Upcycle

January 18, 2015
I purchased this wooden plate holder at the thrift shop last week for $2.  Notice the heart cut out in front.  Thrift shops are full of country shelves and wooden decor with heart cutouts.  The problem is that hearts just are not as popular as they once were.


I painted the plate holder with my beloved Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White and distressed it.  I found that sandpaper removed too much of the black paint that I wanted to show through the white chalk paint, so I used a wet paper towel distressing technique for most of it.

Knowing that I wanted to find something to cover up the heart cutout, I came up with this old hinge in my junk stash.  I brushed some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen onto the old hinge to cover up some of the brass showing through the chippy white paint.

Thrift Shop Heart Cutout Plate Holder Makeover www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
 Here is my up-cycled plate holder.  I think the hinge gives it a farmhouse industrial look.

Thrift Shop Heart Cutout Plate Holder Makeover www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
The plate holder is made to hang on the wall,  Who says it has to hold plates?  It could hold baking pans.

Thrift Shop Heart Cutout Plate Holder Makeover www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
Or cutting boards.

Or lids.

Thrift Shop Heart Cutout Plate Holder Makeover www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
And of course plates.  I like it best sitting on my kitchen corner counter displayed with a very crusty, rusty old scale.














Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook