Kitschy Thrift Shop Breadboard Upcycle

February 08, 2015
The truth be told, this week was a horrible week for thrifting!  It wasn't for a lack of trying because I stopped at the thrift shops almost every day this week.

I ended up purchasing these two items, a kitschy Italian cooking breadboard and a solid wooden oval display base that had a sticker "made in Japan".  These items weren't even new last week.  I have seen them around now for at least a couple of weeks, but never quite figuring out what I would do with them.  I actually prefer unpainted, un-decorated  bread or cutting boards, but beggars can't be choosers this week.  After shelling out a whopping $3 for both, I brought them home and gave them a makeover.


First they got a couple of coats of Annie Sloane Chalk Paint in "Cream".

Next my assistant (husband) sawed off about 1/3 of the solid oval base.  The base is going to be a shelf.

Holes were drilled in the base and the breadboard, and they were attached with screws.

Then I added a jute hanger with a Tim Holtz Crafts round metal tag that says "Simplify 7526".  I purchased a whole package of metal tags at Jo Ann Fabrics last weekend for 40% off.

Thrift Shop Makeover - Farmhouse Style Decor www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
After hanging the new shelf on my kitchen wall, I added a faux herb-y looking plant stuck inside of a vintage aluminum measuring cup.

Thrift Shop Makeover - Farmhouse Style Decor www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
I have to say that I am glad I brought the goofy breadboard and hunk of wood home with me!

Thrift Shop Makeover - Farmhouse Style Decor www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
The shelf is just perfect in a farmhouse style vintage kitchen like mine.











Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. It turned out so cute!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank is an amazing creation you came up with - especially for $3.00! Great job!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desperation can make us use our imaginations even more! This turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! I knew your creative wheels were turning when saw you at the consignment shop the other day. I admire you for your ability to look at something which looks like "nothing" and turn it into something completely different. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing transformation. Love the color and the addition of the measuring cup plant holder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, and love the measuring cup planter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carlene I love this! Now I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! wonderful idea!!!
    ps. kisses from Poland:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative Carlene ... I always buy wooden pieces, especially round or oval because they are hard to cut. That thick oval base made a perfect shelf. Great job.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a difference some creativity makes! I LOVE this, Carlene!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too cute! I love the addition of the "Simplify" tag too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great transformation Carlene..........love it!
    I actually thought the plant looked real until
    I read your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That turned out so cute, Carlene...great re-use project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just so cute! I love how you put it all together! I just passed up a kitschy bread board exactly like that today at a thrift store for $3. I thought it was too expensive!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it, your have inspired me to find similar parts, heck, I probaby have them :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just so clever! Great job!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.