Cram's Universal 12 Inch Globe with Silver Oceans?

July 24, 2012
I bought a globe today.


Globes are not something I run across often. So, when I saw the globe today at my usual haunt, I had to pick it up.


Was it because I just saw Kelly at Eclectically Vintage's blog post on globes? Maybe partly, but I can't handle a globe collection. I think they may take up too much space here.


The price tag on the globe said $10. Not bad. I think old globes are worth that. It was a very unusual color for a globe. The base and the oceans were gray or silver. It just may blend in my decor.


What do you think? Is it a silver ocean globe or just age faded or darkened? I did read on the internet that silver ocean globes are rarer than blue ocean globes but I didn't really see a value.







I am not real sure on the age but I know that Persia was Iran on the globe so it's newer than 1935. Germany is one country, so maybe it's between 1935 and 1945?


It's not in perfect condition, but good. Some rust on the base and the map seams are a little curled in spots.

Hmmm, how can I use this globe in a vignette?







SouthernHospThriftyTreasures copy_thumb
Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. It does look realy old. It may be faded? But either way it is worth something. I love how you can tell the age by the countries.
    I was at an antique mall close to my town. A couple had a huge open cart full of globes. I think they bought everyone in the mall. Probably for resale........I wanted to tell them not to hoard.
    I bought a bloack globe at Restoration Hardware for hardly anything. It was on a clearance table. I wanted it so I could follow where my son was in the Middle East. I still love it. I would love to have a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought an old globe at a yard sale this summer. Mine has a black background. I think yours may just be faded, but I hope it's silver if that's what you really want! (I'm a pleaser.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silver or faded....either way, it is very cool. Perhaps for a vignette you could stack old school books next to it (Geography would be best.) Chalk and an old small chalk board?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it's a great globe no matter what its age! I could kick myself for getting rid of an old globe when we moved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may be faded but I like it better that way. If I had a new globe I would want to try to get that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. o you have a little gem,I found several and gave to my son,who was in the Marine's and a small one that is 1912 vs...I have sold several at the shop when I have found some 50 versions...they always sell well. So yeap, some old books history or geo..and a could small maps framed would be fun.Graphic Fairy has several....If you have any clues as to where your heritage traveled from that would be fun to tie in.....thank you for the sweet comment on my blog...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the globe! You got a real bargain I think. The base is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! The colors are fantastic and there are so many ways you could decorate with it. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love globes and try to grab them whenever I can and add them to the bookcases in our family room. I have a board on pinterest full of ideas for using globes for decorating. Your globe is so unusual and I'm sure it's worth more than you paid for it. I hope you enjoy it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the faded look. It's a beauty. You could display it just about anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the aged silver tone of the base. I think it's a lovely find.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carlene, I love your old globe. The label on it is unique. I bought two old globes for hubbies office. Thought I'd collect a few more and he let me know that two was just right. lol! One is a unique black one. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup. I think your globe would look awesome with some vintage travel items.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE it. I have been on the lookout for one for my son's room. It is beautiful. Found you through Southern Hospitality's thrifty feature!

    Whitney
    www.realcheaphousewivesoftexas.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.