A "Re-Purposed" Christmas Tree - Frames and Buttons

November 20, 2013
Today I have three more re-purposed tree ornaments made from picture frames that I already had stored in a drawer.

This framed is from the Dollar Tree.  I painted it white a few months ago for a project that I never completed.  A fail!

Repurposed Christmas Ornaments Made from Frames www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
 I tried a rusty metal textured paint technique on this frame.  (I will give you the details on this technique in my next blog post, but for now I will tell you it's Becky's technique from Beyond the Picket Fence.)  



Repurposed Christmas Ornaments Made from Frames www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
Then I simply just tied a piece of jute on each side of the top of the frame and clothespinned on a card of red buttons.  The frame hangs in the trees by a ribbon.  Very easy!  Perfect for a button lover or seamstress!

This oval, ornate frame was the next candidate for Christmas repurposing.  I have had this little frame forever, and it was also unused in a drawer.

Repurposed Christmas Ornaments Made from Frames www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
I also used the textured metal technique on this frame.

Repurposed Christmas Ornaments Made from Frames www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
If you look back on the before frame photo, you will see a ring at the top of the frame.  I added two jewelry ring connectors and added a vintage bell ornament.  Then put a ribbon through the top of the original frame ring for hanging on the tree.

Ornament number three started with this red, wooden frame that I purchased thrifting for 25 cents.  No glass or back.

I cut a piece of cardboard to fill the frame opening, and a piece of red and white ticking fabric the same size as the cardboard.  I then used Mod Podge to attach the fabric to the cardboard.

Repurposed Christmas Ornaments Made from Frames www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
When the Mod Podge was dry I added a screw in type loop or eye for the ribbon hanger.  I glued on green buttons in the shape of a Christmas tree with Aleene's tacky glue layering a few of the buttons for more dimension.  

Repurposed Christmas Ornaments Made from Frames www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com

Repurposed Christmas Ornaments Made from Frames www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
The glue is all dry under the buttons, and this ornament is ready for hanging.  

My re-purposed Christmas tree ornaments are costing me very, very little.  But how will my tree look with all repurposed ornaments?  Only time will tell!

The other re-purposed ornaments in the series:

Re-purposed Christmas Ornaments:
1.  Zinc Jar Lids
2.  Teaspoons
3.   Ice Cream Scoop
4.   Crystal Salt & Pepper Shakers
5.   Jello Mold Ornaments
6.   Anthropologie Inspired Shakers
7.   Miniature Listerine Bottle

8.   Biscuit Cutter Snowman
9.   Spatula

10. Clipboards




follow me here:




Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. ADORABLE Carlene!! Love the use of the little frames...so creative!! I had to start a "lots of ornaments" board on Pinterest to keep track of all your fun ideas!! I am inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all pretty, my favorite is the bell frame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the little red frame with green buttons for the tree adorable.I found some Christmas cards a few years ago similar
    and sent them all out wish I had kept one anyway.
    Also the rose frame is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you come up with such awesomeness ? OMGOODNESS now you know I am going to have to try some of these. I love them …YOU are making me want Christmas NOW … TOODLES my friend and have a blessed blessed day … HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will look adorable! I once did a real tree that was small with popcorn garland, dried orange slices and walnuts that I painted like strawberries. I wish I could find the picture. That was YEARS ago! But I still remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok well I couldn't decide which one to pin so I pinned all 3! I love them all... truly amazing Carlene!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So adorable! Love the red frame and the buttons. =)

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like all the ornaments you made, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! You've made some of the sweetest ornaments!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That tree has got to be looking fabulous! Love these and the bell is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carlene I just love this idea. PINNED for next year. I love the small oval one with the bell!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. So how many walnuts do you have to eat per day?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.